By Chef Phillip Schaaf
What You'll Need
2 lbs ground meat
1/2 yellow onion, grated
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup fresh parsley or cilantro, chopped
1/2 cup fresh mint, chopped
3 tbl paprika
2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1.5 tsp fresh cracked pepper
8-10 sheets lavash or flat bread, warmed
1 cup hummus
1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
1. Mix together the ground meat, herbs, spices, onion, and garlic in a large bowl.
2. If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for at least 30 minutes before grilling.
3. Prepare a gas or charcoal grill for cooking at high heat with clean and well oiled grates.
4. Split the meat mixture evenly for each skewer, at least 4 and up to 8 skewers. Roll the meat into a cylindrical shape and push the sharp point of the skewer into the meat.
5. Grill the skewers, turning frequently until the meat is about 135 degrees internally - about 15 minutes.
6. Pull off of the grill and let it rest for ten minutes before removing from the skewer and serve on the warmed flatbread with onion, feta, hummus, and herbs.
Tip: The stove top is a fine alternative to the grill. If cooking indoors, roll the meat mixture into large oval shapes and cook in a skillet. Set to medium heat until the kofte reaches an internal temperature of 135 degrees.