BACON CHICKEN SALAD
We all love comfort food. Those tried-and-true recipes that remind us of our youth or history just put us in a better mood. But do you ever feel you’d like a new spin on those old recipes? Bacon chicken salad on rosemary waffles offers a tasty spark to the comfort and familiarity of chicken and waffles.
The first time I tasted old fashion chicken and waffles escapes my memory. But I always remember thinking the combination was a winner. The sweet and savory combination paired perfectly with the crispy fried chicken and soft fluffy waffle textures.
As much as I love fried chicken, I’m not a fan of standing at the stove to prepare it. Crispy bacon, tart apples, and sweet grapes create a new experience in taste and texture combinations. This new version of chicken and waffles creates the same flavors and textures of the old recipe but offers a new presentation and a quicker prep time.
BACON CHICKEN SALAD AND ROSEMARY WAFFLES
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 2 eggs
- 1 cups milk
- ½ cup olive oil or sunflower oil
- ½ teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat a waffle iron according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, oil and rosemary. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture and stir until the large lumps have disappeared. Allow waffle batter to rest for 5 minutes before adding to the iron.
- Pour ½ cup of the batter into each well of the waffle maker. Close the lid and cook according to the manufacturer’s instructions until the waffles are golden brown and crisp, about 6 minutes..
- 2 cooked chicken breasts, shredded
- 5 pieces of crispy bacon
- 1 Granny Smith apples, cut into small chunks
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- ¼ red onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- ¾ cup sliced red grapes
- ½ tablespoons lemon juice
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- Combine shredded chicken, bacon, apple chunks, almonds, red onion, celery, and lemon juice together in a large bowl.
- Add the mayonnaise to the chicken mixture and stir to coat. Gently fold the grapes into the salad.
- Top the rosemary waffles with a big spoonful of the bacon chicken salad. Garnish with a few sliced almonds.